Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Anti-TPP Sentiment Spreads Within U.S. Chamber of Commerce


In June 2016, I attended a Chamber of Commerce breakfast meeting in a major metropolitan area, because the meeting featured a panel discussion on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement.

The three-person panel was made up of a law school professor who has studied international trade for decades; a Democratic representative of my state’s AFL-CIO; and a Democratic former-staffer of a prominent former Congressperson. I was glad to see the AFL-CIO representative, knowing that she’d be anti-TPP; and was otherwise expecting a pro-TPP bias to the panel.

Imagine my surprise when both the law professor and the AFL-CIO representative argued against the TPP, with their opinions encouraging TPP hostility among most of the meeting’s attendees! I actually felt bad for the former Congressional staffer on the panel. I can’t say that there was a single person in the room who vocally concurred with a pro-TPP stance. [more...]

No comments:

Post a Comment